Welcome to our site - Take Moment and Register to Begin Posting

Established May 1, 2003. Welcome to the Lubbock Racing Community. Be cool to one another.

Questions?Comments?Concerns? about Sponsoring....Contact Us!
Go Back   RaceLubbock - Lubbocks Premiere Race Site > General > Discussions

Old 07-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
LTHL VNM
Race Gas was sooo 2009...

LTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of light

i've been using the citgo on 4th street since they opened since they are the only station with 93 octane in lubbock. is there any way of testing it to make sure it is really 93, just wondering since they are the only ones in the area with it (fina has 92 and everyone else has 91...)
also, i heard from a few people that at higher altitude the gas acts like a higher octane.....like 91 at 4k ft altitude would perform like 93, is there any truth to this?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
PSICHO

PSICHO

I would say that any effect of the octane acting higher than it really is up here is becasue the air is so much thinner that any supercharged or normally aspirated car will make significantly less horsepower here than at sea level.

But on turbocharged cars that have electronic boost control, they will still hit their boost target despite the thinner air. That means that the turbo is working harder to make the same boost as at sea level (more backpressure from the turbo here at altitude).

That's why my car, the evos, the WRX's, and the SRT-4s have so much trouble with achieving a good state of tune on the 93 octane, at least as opposed to what we're used to on the same 93 at sea level. We have to adjust our in-boost timing or add fuel to kill knock.

-K
Old 07-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
Taylor

Taylor

Tony, yeah there is truth to that. The higher the elevation the less octane your engine requires. The higher elevation lowers your effective compression ratio which reduces the chance for detonation. Lower compression means cooler combustion temps. This is where you get by with a slightly lower octane number.

Also, the actual octane number of the fuel doesn't change. 93 octane in Houston is still 93 octane at 6000 feet.

13.33 at 103 mph in 1/4
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
LTHL VNM

LTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of lightLTHL VNM is a glorious beacon of light

so as long as citgo's 93 is actually 93 octane then up in lubbock it is performing better than 93 would in houston?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Taylor

Taylor

Exactly. The 93 at our 3500 feet will be better at surpressing knock.

13.33 at 103 mph in 1/4
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
PSICHO

PSICHO

... unless your electronic boost control allows your turbocharger to spin faster (creating more backpressure) to ram in the same PSI of boost regardless of the altitude.

-Kurt
Old 07-18-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
03Cobra
5th Gear

03Cobra is a glorious beacon of light03Cobra is a glorious beacon of light03Cobra is a glorious beacon of light03Cobra is a glorious beacon of light03Cobra is a glorious beacon of light03Cobra is a glorious beacon of light

I am pretty sure it is 93. I filled up with 91 about 30 minutes outside of Lubbock and heard a knock under WOT with the 93 tune....no knock with the 93 tune with the 93 octane on 4th St.

Since then the car has been retuned and I run that 93 on the 93 octance tune and no problemo.
03Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
LTHL VNM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Thomas:
I am pretty sure it is 93. I filled up with 91 about 30 minutes outside of Lubbock and heard a knock under WOT with the 93 tune....no knock with the 93 tune with the 93 octane on 4th St.

Since then the car has been retuned and I run that 93 on the 93 octance tune and no problemo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOT with 91 in the tank on a tune for 93???
Old 07-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Yellow93
Tacked Out In Top Gear

Yellow93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a good idea... last time I was forced to use some 91 I limped the car home out of boost until I could get some real gas in it! And this was with your car on a Murillo tune? Good luck with that...
Old 07-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #10
Rene
Tacked Out In Top Gear

Rene is an unknown quantity at this point

Every time Ive filled up with 93 From 4th Ive been very happy. I do not trust 7 11's anymore due to me putting in "92" In my tank. Then One night boosted High and My car Knocked. ECU Ripped Back all timming and boost. Funny thing I wasent Running Advance timming or anything just your regular Driving Setting. After that happen and I have to Drive home On Limp mode I do not get gas from 7 11's anymore.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
Got K. E. G. ?
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote